Hello there everyone and Happy Tuesday! I hope you are all having a wonderful start to the week. Today, I wanted to post two DIY recipes that you can make and give as gifts to your friends and family. I will show you how to make Peppermint Bark Brownies and Holiday Puppy Chow. Two recipes that are both delicious and will work perfectly as gifts.
Peppermint Bark Brownies are a perfect holiday dessert for your loved ones who have a sweet tooth. If you know someone who loves candy canes, then this will be the perfect treat for them. When you’re finished, place brownies into a holiday-themed cookie container or wrap in holiday-themed cellophane paper and tie with a bow. You’ll impress your family members or friends with your expert baking skills.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate cut into ½-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil (let foil hang over top of pan) and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk cocoa and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Fold in bittersweet chocolate pieces.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring between each. Stir until smooth and spread on the top of the lukewarm brownies. Sprinkle the still warm chocolate with the crushed peppermint candy canes. Let cool till the chocolate has hardened into a nice Peppermint Bark.
- Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
Holiday Puppy Chow is not much different than regular puppy chow. Then main difference is you can either add red and green m&m’s, which are optional. Or, you can add pieces of crushed candy canes instead of m&m’s, also optional. It’s all based on what you think the person would like. If you’re giving this as a gift, place puppy chow into a jar or two and finish the gift off with a holiday bow! This recipe is perfect for those who aren’t too great in the kitchen.
- 9 cups Chex cereal (any kind)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, melted
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Red and green m&m’s or crushed candy canes (choose one of the two, or both. However, both are optional.)
- Measure cereal in large bowl and set aside.
- Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter for 20 seconds and stir. Repeat twice.
- Add vanilla and pour mixture over cereal, stirring until coated.
- Pour mixture into large Ziploc bag and add powdered sugar. Shake until evenly coated.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool.
I hope you enjoyed the first day of my DIY gifts for Christmas. Check back periodically throughout the week to see more DIY creations that you can make as gifts to give for your friends and family. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day and as always, I will talk to you all soon!